Water Damage and Electricity

Phoenix homes and businesses can sustain water damage from a variety of sources, including storms, leaks, broken pipes, appliance malfunctions, and more. While water damage causes obvious visible damage to your floors, walls, and other construction components, you may not realize that it could have also impacted your electrical system’s wiring.

Dangers of Water Damage to Wiring

If the wiring within your Phoenix home or business has been compromised by water, it is critical that you not use your electrical system at all until it has been inspected and repaired. If no action is taken, you could face many dangers, including:

  • Fire hazard: Water exposure has the potential to damage your wiring, which poses a fire risk. Exposed wires and dangerous contacts can result when water comes in contact with your wiring.
  • Electrical shock: If you were to handle water damaged wiring, you could be shocked. Electrical shocks range in severity from minor to severe. Operating tools or appliances which were damaged can also cause shocks, as well as coming into contact with standing water.
  • Increased damage: If you fail to correct damaged components, your initial water damage could cause more damage to your electrical system as well as appliances and devices throughout the home. Your damaged wiring may arc and you may experience power surges or other issues which can permanently damage devices plugged into the system.

Spotting Water Damage to Wiring

To reduce your risk of the hazards mentioned above, you should learn to identify the signs of water damaged wiring.

  • Wires and devices under water: If you see any wiring, appliance, or device that is sitting in standing water or if you know they were in an area where they could have been exposed to water, do not handle them. A licensed electrician can inspect the components and perform necessary repairs.
  • Buzzing wires: If any appliance, switch, or electrical component makes a humming or buzzing sound, do not handle it. This indicates a rogue charge which can result from water damage, which will cause electrical shock if you touch it.
  • Standing water: If you find standing water which is in contact or could be in contact with electrical components, do not go near it. Water carries electrical charge and contact could cause a dangerous shock.

If you suspect your electrical wiring has sustained water damage, please call Super Electric right away. Our licensed electricians will inspect your electrical system and provide the needed repairs to keep you safe.