Spring Cleaning for Your Phoenix Lighting Fixtures
Spring will be here officially on Sunday, and many Phoenix homeowners are compiling their spring cleaning chore lists. One area we want to remind you not to forget is your lighting fixtures! The fixtures throughout your home can benefit from some annual cleaning just as other areas can. Below you’ll find some helpful tips to help you safely clean lighting fixtures throughout your home.
CAUTION: Before cleaning your lighting fixtures, be sure lightbulbs are turned off and are cool. As an added precaution, you may also wish to cut power to the fixture you’ll be cleaning at your home’s electrical panel.
Cleaning Light Bulbs
Dust buildup on lightbulbs throughout the home can actually dim their output by as much as 30 percent. When lightbulbs aren’t putting off their expected brightness due to their surface area being dirty, it may cause you to turn on extra lamps or lighting fixtures, essentially wasting energy. If you ever notice that a room seems a bit dimmer than it once was, it’s a good idea to inspect the lightbulb and see if dust could be to blame.
- To clean lightbulbs, always use a dry cloth. Turn off the fixture to avoid burns, and gently wipe down the surface of the lightbulb.
Cleaning Ceiling Fixtures
Ceiling fixtures can accumulate a great deal of dust and debris throughout the year, in part due to the fact that they are not always cleaned regularly. Before cleaning ceiling fixtures, turn off power to avoid electrical accidents. Carefully use a ladder to access the fixture.
- Carefully remove the fixture cover or globe shades over the bulbs; you may have to remove the lightbulbs to do so, depending on your fixture.
- Using a dry cloth, dust the surrounding area.
- Clean the fixture cover with warm soapy water, and dry with a microfiber cloth.
- Never put fixture covers in the dishwasher!
Cleaning Recessed Lighting Fixtures
Recessed lighting canisters can be accessed using a long-arm extension, step stool, or ladder; use what you feel comfortable with!
- Insert a dusting wand inside the canister and gently clean between the canister walls and the bulb.
- Wipe down the lightbulb with a dry cloth or the dusting wand.
- If there is still grime or debris after dusting, remove the lightbulb and wipe down the inside of the canister as well as any exposed surfaces.
Cleaning Pendant Lighting Fixtures
Depending on the height and location of your pendant lights, you may require a ladder or step stool to access them for cleaning. Before cleaning, turn off the fixtures and allow the lightbulbs to cool down.
- Using a cloth and a cleaning solution approved for the material, spray the globe shade with cleaner and wipe clean.
- Using a dry cloth, dust the bulb inside the fixture as well as the rods and cables which hold the fixture.
During your spring cleaning routine, if you find your fixtures are damaged and are in need of replacement, call Super Electric for quick assistance!